To no avail means that you exercise not succeed in achieving your objective, or what you exercise is ineffective.

To no avail in English language means that you do not succeed in achieving your objective, or what y'all do is ineffective.

  • I tried to warn him of the dangers of smoking, but to no avail.
  • Our team lost the football lucifer. The players did their best to no avail.

To no avail is often used to say that you lot are making and endeavour but not having success:

  • I decided to abandon the project later working very hard to no avail.
  • I failed the exam. Can you believe information technology? I studied 8 hours a day for two weeks to no avail.

Is 'To no avail' Formal?

To no avail is mainly used in writing and literary works. It is also used in formal and neutral conversations.

You tin use to no avail in informal situations, only this expression is more extended in formal linguistic communication. In an informal context you can employ other words, such as "pointless", "in vain" or "to no benefit":

  • I tried to convince my parents, only my efforts were to no avail.
  • I tried to convince my parents, merely my efforts were pointless.
  • I tried to convince my parents, merely my efforts were in vain.

The iii sentences higher up are correct.

Departure between 'To no avail' and 'Of no avail'

  • Of no avail ways unsuccessful, pointless, or useless (describing word).
  • To no avail ways:
    • in vain, unsuccessfully (adverb)
    • of no avail

For example, you can say:

  • His assist was of no avail.
  • Do useful things. Avert doing things that are of no avail.
  • I've been practicing yoga to reduce anxiety and stress, simply to no avail.
  • The authorities implemented halfway measures to no avail.

'To lilliputian avail' and 'Of picayune avail'

You can use to lilliputian avail and of piddling avail to cushion the idea of being "useless" and sound less edgeless.

  • The board of directors implemented a number of policies, but they were of little avail.
  • Endeavor to practice meaningful things instead of doing things that are to picayune avail.

More Examples

  • Her efforts were of no avail.
  • I tried acupuncture to quit smoking to no avail.
  • She wanted to buy a luxury auto. We tried to modify her heed, but to no avail.
  • It is one of the well-nigh difficult books to empathize. I read it iii times to no avail.
  • Most of the policies they accept implemented to forestall illegal drug trade were of no avail.
  • Legislators tried to prevent tobacco use past passing a number of anti-smoking laws, but to no avail.
  • Writing such a long commodity on climate alter was of no avail considering the editor decided to drop my story.
  • Chinese is 1 of the hardest languages to learn for Americans. I tried to learn Chinese with a native speaker to little avail.
  • My wife and I attempted to repair the washing machine ourselves to no avail. I must admit that nosotros were not sure what was causing the trouble.
  • In 2008, the European central banking company tried to stimulate economic growth by lowering interest rates, but its monetary policy decisions were to no avail.

Other Ways To Say 'To no avail'

Instead of to no avail, you can use the following expressions in a range of situations:

  • useless
  • pointless
  • in vain
  • no help
  • to no benefit
  • to no apply
  • to no outcome
  • with no gain
  • it will not serve
  • but not worth information technology
  • Information technology will not be of any employ
  • it doesn't make any difference
  • Information technology didn't help me attain the goal

'Avail' equally a Verb

"To avail oneself of something" means making good use of something, or taking advantage of an opportunity. "To avail" tin can also mean "to aid" or "to be useful". Yous can learn more about to avail every bit a verb on our post 'To Avail' Meaning and Examples.